Sunday, July 24, 2011

Home Sweet Home

It's never felt so good to be home!

Our journey around the world has come to an end. We had a great time seeing and exploring the world.

In Europe we made our way from Venice down to Rome on the train, stopping in Pisa, Siena and Montepulciano, a small town in the Tuscan Valley. Italy was beautiful and hot. Barney and I both got sick from who knows what. Thankfully it was the only time we got sick and got over it quickly.


(The view of the Tuscan Valley from our hotel in Montepulciano)

After Italy, we headed to Amsterdam where we visited with Barney's cousin Mignon and her fiance Patrick. We biked around the city, visited the Heineken Brewery and took a trip to Kollumerpomp in the country where my grandfather was born and raised.


(Barney and I on a river tour in Amsterdam)

From Amsterdam we flew to Prague where we stayed for 4 days. Prague is a beautiful city, even in the rain. Their are many unique buildings and structures to see. The hotel we stayed in had a bowling alley so one night when it rained, we went bowling! It was lots of fun and a great hotel to stay in.


(The view of Prague from the Prague Castle)

After Prague we made our way to Munich where we flew out to LA. My sister Kristen met us in LA with her 7 month old son Ben who I got to meet for the first time! He's so cute :) We went to the beach where Ben got to experience the ocean for the first time and he loved it. We eventually drove to Vegas to where Kristen lives and stayed there for a few days and had a great visit. I loved spending so much time with Ben. He's such an easy baby.


(Kristen, Ben and I)

We made our way to Bellingham where we stayed with my aunt for a night, than headed to Vancouver. It was so good to be home. I managed to see all of my siblings, nieces and nephews which was great since many have moved away from the city. We had our wedding celebration the last night we were in town. We had about 40 people over to celebrate and had a lot of fun.


(My dad, niece Madeleine and Barney at Crescent Beach)

We left Vancouver to head to LA where we had a one night stay. To fill our day before flying out, we went to Universal Studios. I didn't know what to expect but had a great time. Lots of rides, behind the scenes tours and even a drive through Wisteria Lane. It's amazing how they can make films out of small sets. We left LA at 10:30pm and arrived in Sydney at 7am. The flight was 15 hours and we both ended up sleeping a solid 10-11 hours on the flight. If it wasn't for that sleep, I think we would be struggling with jetlag, but we aren't which I'm so thankful for since we both gone back to work since getting back 3 days ago. We also went to Cirque du Soleil the night we go back. It was my 5th Cirque show and I still love it everytime. If you have a chance to see a show, go! It's worth it.


(Our flooded yard)

Now we're home in cold, rainy Australia. It's been raining nonstop since we've been back until now. The sun is peaking through the clouds and trying to stick around. Our yard is completely flooded and about 10-15cm deep. As long as the rain stays away, it should go done soon.



We had a great trip around the world but there's nothing like being home and sleeping in your own bed. It's good to be home.

3 comments:

Louise Chapman said...

Wow, what a trip! I cannot believe how much you got in there. If you could just visit one place again, where would you go?
I am love Cirque du Soleil and should really go again.
And yes, nothing like being home again!

ade drost said...

Woweee! Welcome Home! :)

Lynn Webb said...

Louise, I would probably not return to Europe as I've been there twice and have seen what I want to see, but I would probably return to Malaysia and go relax on the little island we went to for a week :) If not Malaysia, I'd go to Bali where we went two years ago. Bali was awesome!