Saturday, January 26, 2013

Australia Day

Happy Australia Day!

The country is celebrating it's birthday today. Most Aussies were probably at the beach, putting shrimp on the barbie and cracking a cold one, as they do.

I had the day off work so Barney and I just spent the morning at home being lazy. We began to walk Jessie but soon stopped as Jessie couldn't walk on her back leg. She ended up having a centimeter long wire stuck all the way into the pad of her foot. Ouch! Barney went to work and I've had a lazy day of watching movies and lying in a cold bath.

Every year on Australia day, a citizenship ceremony is held in the area to welcome new citizens to the country. Apparently there are 17,000 new citizens this year in the country. In 5 years this could be me. At this point, I'm happy and thankful to call Australia home. Do I want to be an Australian? I don't know.


My immigration paperwork has been sent in and hopefully in June I will be granted permanent residency. This will stay valid indefinitly but has some conditions which are doable. (Is doable even a word? Something doesnt sound right about it.....)

For now I'm a proud Canadian living in Australia :)

*Thanks to Peter and Sarah Brouwer for leaving me the Canadian flag now proudly hung in our garage window :)

No comments: