Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Motherhood

No, I am not pregnant. Yes, we hope to be by the end of 2013. Now that's out of the way, my thoughts on motherhood....

I have been taken care of children for a long time. Since I was a little girl, I would help in the church nursery. From there it moved to taken care of neighborhood children, going to Hawaii with a family to watch their kids, and even having my neighbor have twins girls when I was 13. The twins were born at the beginning of summer, so that summer I spent everyday helping their mom with the babies. I would even stay over and help her with feeding/changing etc in the middle of the night. This was my first real experience of what caring for a newborn was really like.

Because of my experience I feel prepared for a baby of our own. Taking care of a child does not scare or intimidate me. I know that this of course will change as I will be sleep deprived, experience new situations that I have not dealt with, and need to take care of a husband, dog and home at the same time as well.

What are my concerns?

One is having a healthy pregnancy. Barney and I are trying to eat healthier, excersize more, and limit alcohol to a glass of wine here and there. I'm not crash dieting or trying to get heaps fit, I just want my body to be prepared to carry a child. I already have problems with my hips so I've started doing pilates to try and strengthen them.

Secondly, having a healthy child. What parent doesn't want a healthy child? Three of my cousins have had babies with the same health complications. Although it is not proved to be genetic, it is still a concern.

Thirdly, maintaining a healthy and fun relationship with my husband. Barney and I laugh a lot and rarely argue. I know having a baby with come with new stresses and challenges and I just pray that we won't let anything stand in the way of our marriage.

Work is also a concern. I love my job and the people I work with. I hope to take a year off before going back to work but we will have to see how things go. Daycare is ridculously expensive so it might be more cost effective for me to just stay home. We'll see.

When I think about these things, I still smile. All of my concerns are not my own. There is someone far greater than my husband or myself looking after us and He is good. When God's timing is right, we will (God willingly) have a child and I'm so excited for that day!

I've wanted to be a mom for a very long time and am excited to hopefully have the chance to become a mother in the future.



3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love this post too! I think you will be a wonderful mother Lynn and honestly you seem very prepared both with your experiences AND your expectations on how things will change.

It's the hardest job in the world, but its hands down the best job in the world and I wouldn't trade it for anything!!!

Louise Chapman said...

Lynn, I would say that you are so much more prepared than i was!! You know the concerns that come along with being pregnant. I seriously don't even think I considered how it would affect Gary and I as husband and wife. So naive of me!! That has been the hardest adjustment. It has brought us to a deeper level but that's not to say it was easy. However, some adversity is healthy (I think) because with it, comes growth and a depth.

I can't wait to see you as a mom, you will be amazing. And like you said, your concerns are in God's hands. You can only do so much for a healthy pregnancy and baby!

Yay!!

Ashley said...

I can't believe I didn't see this until just now! I was actually thinking of writing a similar post... Minus the being pregnant by the end of 2013. Though I wouldn't mind it, but my husband is not on board at this point.

I love you and I can't wait for you to be a mom!