Wow! I cant believe that it has been 10 years since I graduated high school. There is a reunion going on tonight and it would have been nice to be there. It's pretty casual, just a backyard bbq but would have been great to catch up and see where every one is at 10 years on.
I'll try to do a year by year recap if I can remember what I was doing then! I've added some pictures from my graduation for some entertainment too :)
2005: Graduate! I spent the rest of the year working my retail job that I started in grade 11.
2006: Head to Zambia, Africa for 6 months to do work with Every Orphan's Hope. This is a life highlight and I had the best highs and lows there but it was great!
2007: I enrol at Canadian Tourism College and in just 6 (intense!) months, graduate with a diploma in hospitality and hotel management.
2008: After leaving college, I begin work at the Vancouver Convention Centre until October when I leave for Australia. I travel there with my good friend Kim and we explore the country together for several weeks.
2009: I spent most of the year in Australia falling in love with Barney. In September my visa expires and I have to head back home to Canada but decide to travel to New Zealand and Beijing first.
2010: I resume my work at the Vancouver Convention Centre and get a promotion ahead of the Winter Olympics. The Olympics were intense and wonderful! I worked 14-16 hours a day but it was just a huge adrenaline rush and I loved it. Barney came to visit after the Olympics to meet my family and proposed! Sadly, he had to go back to Australia while I worked on my immigration papers.
In July I was approved and headed back to Australia. In December we were legally married.
2011: We had our white wedding in Australia. My parents, brother and grandpa all came out to visit for the first time and we had a great time together. Later that year, Barney and I did a 6 week trip around the world visiting Malaysia, Singapore, Holland, Italy, Germany, the Czech Republic and Vegas, finishing our trip in Vancouver to have a wedding reception at my parents house to celebrate with those who couldn't make it out to Australia.
2012: We built our veggie garden and did a lot of things to fix up the house. We also travelled to Canada for my brothers wedding and another family visit.
2013: We got pregnant with Myles and had a few weekends away to places not far from here. Instead of going back to Canada this year, we took a 'babymoon' in Vanuatu instead and had a wonderful beach vacation. It was our first real holiday where we just took it easy, relaxed by the pool and read books instead of our usual go go go holidays. It was bliss.
2014: I stopped working in early January and in March we welcomed Myles into the world! It was one of the best days ever. It was an amazing and empowering experience! In June we travelled to Thailand for 6 days for Barneys work conference. In August we went back to Canada for a visit and to introduce Myles to all of my family and friends. We had a lovely time enjoying the Vancouver summer. In October I went back to work part time.
2015: And this year so far.... we travelled to Fiji and Mexico in April where we celebrated my parents 30th anniversary. (I don't even think I have blogged about it, oops!) We found out in Mexico we were pregnant with our second baby. Earlier this month we miscarried but will try again soon for another baby!
It has been a great 10 years! I never really knew where life would take me but I always knew in my heart that my husband would be elsewhere in the world. I'm pretty happy I found him in Australia! As much as I miss my family and friends in Vancouver, I love living in Australia and don't see us ever moving back to Canada. We have a wonderful life here with jobs we love, it is a beautiful location and a great community to raise a family in.
I have been truly blessed to experience everything I have in the last 10 years. I have gone to college, experienced the rush of the Olympics, travelled across 5 continents, married an incredible man and have given birth to the most precious gift I could ever ask for.
And for all of this, I am grateful to Him.






1 comment:
10 flipping years.
beautiful as always.
xoxo
glad you're still my friend.
need starbucks soon.
Post a Comment